Stay healthy at school this year with Dr. Turner’s Frosh First Aid Kit.
Prevent colds and flus
1. Take a good quality multivitamin and vitamin D daily.
2. Consume protein at every meal.
3. Eat 3 fruits per day.
4. Consume ½ cup plain yogurt (preferably organic) daily.
Treat a cold
1. Take 500 – 1000mg of vitamin C every few hours along with 1 – 2 tablets of Echinacea or 2 – 4 drops of oregano oil under your tongue.
2. Rest! Stay home, sleep and allow your body time to recover.
3. Put wet socks on and go to bed.
4. Drink plenty of fluids – water, herbal teas or pure juices with no sugar added (diluted ½ with water).
Poor concentration and focus
1. Take 3 caps or 1 tsp. (must be kept in fridge if you purchase a liquid) of fish oil daily.
2. If you are feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and mentally worn out – Kali Phos homeopathic tissue salt – 4 pellets under your tongue when needed.
1. Take 4 drops of Rescue Remedy under your tongue as needed.
Optimal health and preventative medicine
1. Clear essentials – morning – 1 pack per day with breakfast
2. 2 caps fish oil with breakfast
Prevention of over-training and aiding recovery after exercise
1. Follow instructions for optimal health and preventative medicine
2. Drink a whey protein shake daily. Whey maintains muscle, aids immunity and offers us protection from cancer.
Trauma – bumps, bruises, injuries
1. Traumeel cream topically. This is arnica cream and is excellent for bumps, bruises, swelling, stiffness and soreness.
2. Wobenzym – think of this as natural aspirin. Effective for sprains, strains, muscle or joint pain. Take 2 to 10 pills on rising and 2 to 10 pills before bed away from food.
Signs of compromised immunity (repeated colds and flu’s, cold sores, allergies, etc.)
1. To the optimal health plan above, add 2 capsules of probiotics to your regime each morning. (Keep this product in the fridge)
2. Take an extra 1 or 2 vitamin C’s daily.
1. Use the same remedies for compromised immunity and eliminate the following foods from your diet for 3 weeks to see if it helps to improve your skin:
a. dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, sour cream)
b. sugar (pop, candies, muffins, pastries, Gatorade, etc)
c. caffeine in the form of teas, coffee and energy drinks.
2. Drink plenty of water each day.
3. Make sure you are having a bowel movement each day. If not, use the remedies for constipation.
1. Use the optimal wellness plan above but increase the fish oil to 4 caps per day and the vitamin D to 2 tablets per day during the winter months.
2. Exercise every other day – within a maximum of 48 hours apart
To reduce the adverse effects of alcohol (This is not meant to promote the use of alcohol)
1. B complex with 1mg folic acid – take 1 before drinking alcohol and 1 after.
2. Water, water, water, water, water!
Constipation (less than one bowel movement each day)
1. Add 2 tbsp of ground flaxseeds to your diet daily in smoothies or yogurt.
2. Take a probiotic – 2 caps on rising each morning.
3. Increase your intake of high fibre foods – fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains and reduce your intake of binding foods (cheese and bananas).
4. Drink plenty of water each day.
5. Add extra vitamin C if things do not “get moving”.
Dr. Natasha Turner ND is the author of The Hormone Diet and she welcomes your questions or comments. Although you may not receive a response, your submission will certainly be read and may be selected as a topic for a future column.